Carly Fiorina – A Woman Against Women

Has there ever been a woman with so much power working against women?

Photo courtesy of Frederic J. Brown, AFP/Getty Images
Photo courtesy of Frederic J. Brown, AFP/Getty Images

When I think of a presidential candidate being a woman, I am beaming. Thinking of a woman holding a role that has been held by a man since its creation is truly revolutionary. However, when that woman is actively working to erase women’s rights, I would rather her not succeed. That “her” is GOP candidate Carly Fiorina.

The Fight Against Women’s Reproductive Rights

Fiorina has famously bashed Planned Parenthood on multiple accounts. She even went so far as to dare Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama to watch a fetus getting cut up on a table, claiming she saw insider video of “a fully formed fetus on the table, its heart beating, its legs kicking, while someone says we have to keep it alive to harvest its brain.” This video that does not exist, according to Vox, and is rather a  claim that has deliberately been created to smear Planned Parenthood.

Fiorina repeatedly paints Planned Parenthood as an outlet for inhumane abortions that are federally funded. She is ignorant to the fact that abortions account for 3% of all Planned Parenthood services, leaving 97% of services to preventative care, STD treatment, birth control, family planning, and cancer screenings.  She is also ignorant to the fact that it is actually illegal to federally fund most abortions (unless abortion by rape, incest, or harmful to mother) under the Hyde Amendment. 

Her degree of insensitivity to the matter baffles me, as she recently battled breast cancer herself. She understands the pain and intricacies of cancer, but rallies against its preventative care. Instead of using her experience to benefit women’s cancers, she is actively working against it.

Her Definition of Feminism as a Leftist Policy

Feminism is NOT a Liberal quality and should never be portrayed as so.  Feminism is a very simple concept and literally asks for equal treatment of men and women. Feminism is for everyone who believes in equality and fairness for females, and basically should be supported by every woman on the planet. Instead of recognizing the simplicity of feminism, Carly has a rather convoluted definition of feminism, writing in her essay called “Redefining Feminism,” “feminism has devolved into a left-leaning political ideology where women are pitted against men and used as a political weapon to win elections.” This definition is so far from the truth of feminism, and places the attention on a different issue. Let’s talk about equality Fiorina, not political warfare.

The Fight Against Equal Pay

Fiorina recounts her transition from secretary to CEO often – but fails to understand and sympathize with working women. As she rose the ranks, she cited enduring sexism and the difficulties faced as a woman in a male-dominated world of executives. Despite this, Carly does not support equal pay.

Instead of recognizing that women make about 80% of what men make and providing a solution to bridge the gap, Carly puts attention seniority and its benefits. Fiorina writes, “the single greatest impediment to equal pay for equal work is the seniority system.” Seniority has nothing to do with equal pay. It does not explain why men and women can do the same job, but women make 80 cents on the dollar. Again, this is Fiorina placing attention where it shouldn’t be, avoiding a solution.

All in all, I do commend her for holding her place as a woman in the GOP. In her own way, she is a woman in a man’s world, and even if I don’t agree with her, she can add to Feminism – even if she doesn’t want to. While her words are unappreciated, her presence is.



Share : facebooktwitterredditmail
Follow Posh Girl Politics On : rssinstagram

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>